Next Step provides career counseling for high school, college, and graduate school students, recent graduates, as well as seasoned professionals interested in career change, transition within current organization, and many other career concerns.
High School Students...
- Explore career options based on personality, interests, values, and strengths
- Narrow down majors of interest and identify colleges offering related programs
- Identify ways to gain experience in fields of interest to clarify goals and build college resume
- Research career paths of interest and related college majors and/or professional training programs
- Strategize on how to get the most out of your high school experience
- Receive guidance in resume development, interview skills, and professional etiquette in preparation for college admission
- Whether you attend community college, university, or are a high school graduate considering options, Next Step can help you narrow down majors and career paths through exploration of personality, interests, values, and strengths
- Get expert help developing resumes tailored for jobs, internships, graduate/professional school, and scholarships
- Interview skills training including mock interviews and assistance developing interview stories for behavioral interview success
- Job search strategies including uncovering the hidden job market, networking, and Linked In
- Company research, evaluating opportunities, and salary negotiation
- Considering graduate/professional/medical/dental/pharmacy school? Essay critiques and mock interviews available
- Identify job opportunities that fit with your skills, personality, interests, and values, and also with your major/degree and experience
- Translate unpaid experience into relevant, transferable skills and learn how to convey them on a resume and while networking and interviewing
- Build self-confidence through identification of your value to employers, strengthening of soft skills, and building your personal brand
- Gain assistance with evaluating whether or not graduate school is a strong option
- Guidance through the process of changing careers, changing roles within the same field or organization, transitioning back into the workforce after an absence, and weighing different career options
- Resume critique/development, interview skills training and mock interviews, job search strategies including networking, personal branding, and Linked In
- Myers Briggs Type Indicator and Strong Interest Inventory assessments available to help you gain clarity on your personality type and interests allowing you to explore work tasks and work environments that are a good fit and more likely to lead to work satisfaction
Services & Rates
(All appointments are self-pay, via cash, personal check or credit card. Insurance is not accepted.)
- $140 per one-hour career counseling session
- Sessions offered in person (in Houston), via Skype or telephone, or at a mutually agreed upon location
- Resume critique/development mini-sessions available via phone and email; $75 for 30-minute session
- Career assessments (Myers Briggs and Strong Interest Inventory) are an additional charge of $50
- Career Assessment Package ($330) includes Myers Briggs and Strong Interest Inventory, intake phone call (approx. 20
minutes) and two one-hour counseling sessions
- Interview Prep Package ($215) includes one 75 minute session (in person or phone/Skype) and one 30 minute follow-up phone mock interview session
- Small group sessions available for career assessment interpretation; Contact us for more information and rates
- Myers Briggs workshops available for teams/groups; Contact us for more information
I worked with Shelley as a recent college graduate. She helped me to realize and identify transferable skills and experiences related to jobs I was interested in. She was easy to talk to and I learned so much about myself through this process. I would recommend her to anyone who needs help getting to their next step in life.
-- Kaitlin Crowley, career exploration & resume development; new professional
I wanted to tell you how much my son enjoyed the career workshop with Shelley Richard. She seemed to make the class very interesting, informative, and fun. I enjoyed hearing about it when my son got into the car afterwards. I will recommend to others next summer.
-- Michelle Gonzalez, parent of high school student participant in summer career exploration workshop
I was a client of Shelley's as a student at the University of St. Thomas. Shelley was always very positive and encouraging and was so easy to work with. Looking for jobs after college was very stressful for me, but she helped me stay focused and enthusiastic throughout the process. When I was ready to switch jobs, Shelley was willing to help me even though it had been two years since I had graduated from UST. We were able to communicate easily through phone and email since I lived in Tennessee at the time, and she provided lots of great resources for me including job opportunities and a resume review. Shelley's patience and support made a huge difference in this process for me and I am forever grateful for her assistance with these transitions.
-- Kailey Posterick, career exploration/job search/resume review; college student and new professional
Life is challenging and my experience of it is often reality falls short of expectations. However, in the case of our engagement of Shelley Richard to assist my daughter in moving toward discovering her life work, my expectations have not only been met, but exceeded. I am deeply grateful. A big part of parenting, from my viewpoint, is to be able to help a child get to the place that you are helping me get my daughter to!!! (To discover what they like, to discover their life work.). Keep up the good work with my daughter, please!!!
-- Mark F., career exploration/
assessment and college planning for high school student